Maxi Mango Review: Love it or hate it, Maxi Mango has already made its mark in the local foodie scene. Since it opened its first Metro Manila branches in SM Mall of Asia and Robinson’s Galleria, curious customers have been lining up for hours, patiently waiting for their turn to try the popular dessert from Davao. Despite the long lines, it’s interesting how people actually have polarized opinions about the product. I’ve been seeing posts online saying that Maxi Mango is surprisingly good, while there are also equally passionate comments about the dessert not living up to the hype.
I don’t have the patience to wait for more than an hour in line, so I waited for a few weeks for the craze to slow down before I finally went on to try Maxi Mango at the Robinson’s Galleria branch last November. There is still a line, although significantly shorter than when I first discovered this Maxi Mango branch. So is the hype worth the wait, or is this simply a fad? Here’s our Maxi Mango Review:
Maxi Mango Review (Ingredients, Recipe)
Mango is my favorite fruit, so I’m not hard to please with mango-based desserts. Maxi Mango’s products are essentially mangoes with soft-serve ice cream in a cup. These come in four varieties:
- Maxi Mango – Mango flavored soft-serve ice cream in between layers of fresh Davao mangoes.
- Maxi Mango Float – Add crushed graham and cream to the Maxi Mango ang voila! You have a Mango Float in a cup.
- Mango Shake – Why not blend the ice cream and mangoes together to make a shake, right?
- Mango Juice Float – Mango Juice topped with their signature mango flavored soft-serve.
What I have tried so far is the Maxi Mango Float, which according to the lady taking our orders is their best-selling variety. I can see why – they serve generous amounts of mangoes on each cup. I’ve read online that the mangoes served in their Metro Manila branches supposedly come all the way from Davao. This explains why the mangoes truly are sweet, and have just the right ripeness. While some may think that Maxi Mango’s unique selling point is their mango-flavored ice cream (because hey, anyone can make their own Mango Float at home), I say that the Maxi Mango Float’s appeal comes from the mangoes itself.
I understand though why some people online rant about the Maxi Mango Float being too sweet. As if the mangoes weren’t sweet enough, the rest of the ingredients literally have sugar. The extra-sweet combination of mangoes, ice cream, crushed grahams, and cream can be a bit overwhelming to the taste buds.
If I may recommend, I would like more of the crushed grahams and cream, and less of the soft-serve ice cream. That would make it more of the classic mango float that Filipinos love, and less of it being a cup of “umay”.
Maxi Mango Price
Here are the prices for every size of Maxi Mango’s products:
- Small – Php 59.00
- Medium – Php 79.00
- Large – Php 95.00
- Small – Php 75.00
- Medium – Php 95.00
- Large – Php 109.00
- 12 oz. – Php 85.00
- 16 oz. – Php 95.00
Mango Juice Float
- 16 oz. – Php 59.00
Maxi Mango Branches
- Maxi Mango Davao and CDO Branches
- Gaisano Mall of Davao
- Gaisano Mall of Tagum
- SM CDO
- Maxi Mango Manila Branches
- SM Mall of Asia
- Robinson’s Galleria
- UP Town Center
- SM Fairview
- Robinson’s Place Manila
- Coming soon: Trinoma and Glorietta
Maxi Mango Owner
Maxi Mango’s owners are husband and wife Ivan Velasquez and Miki Arceo-Velasquez. Miki may look familiar because she is an ex-PBB (Pinoy Big Brother) housemate, on the same batch as Kim Chiu and Gerald Anderson.
Ivan and Miki were both OFWs when they decided to go back to the Philippines in 2013 to start a business. At first they sold soft-serve desserts, and mangoes are just one the the many flavors that are available. Eventually, the businesses evolved to the successful Maxi Mango Franchise that it is now.
Maxi Mango Franchise
For those who are interested in having their own Maxi Mango franchise, here are the steps you have to follow:
- Prepare the following requirements: Financial Statement / Income Tax Return for 3 years
Bank statement for the last 3 months
2 valid government ID’s
Personal Data Sheet
Police/ Barangay/ NBI Clearance
- Fill out the Maxi Mango Franchise application form. You may see the application form here.
- Wait while your application is being evaluated. When your application passes the evaluation, you will be scheduled for an interview where you will be asked to submit other necessary requirements, including a notarized Disclosure of Other Related Interest.
- Qualified applicants will be awarded with a franchise grant. The franchise fee must be settled within 20 days. You may email a copy of the deposit slip to [email protected] as proof of your payment. (source)
What’s your own Maxi Mango review? Do you think it’s fab or just a fad? Let us know in the comments below!