Tinolang Manok with Papaya and Malunggay
Tinolang Manok (Chicken tinola) is a classic Filipino chicken soup traditionally served with papaya, malunggya, or hot pepper leaves.
Cost: Php 300
- Malunggay leaves aka moringga (removed from stalks)
- 1 medium-sized green papaya (peeled and wedged)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 medium-sized ginger (julienned)
- 1/2 kilo chicken (tinola cut)
- 4-5 cups water
- 1 Knorr chicken broth cubes
- 2 tbsp canola oil (or Extra Virgin Olive oil)
Saute the garlic, onion, and ginger in oil.
Add the chicken and saute until the meat is white on all sides.
Add water and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and cooked.
Add patis (fish sauce) and Knorr chicken broth cubes. Mix well.
Gently put the green papaya slices and stir. Cover for around 5 minutes or until the papaya is tender.
Finally, add the malunggay leaves and mix well. Let cook for about a minute.